Thursday, 4 May 2017

DEAREST HOME ON THE BANKS OF THE FEALE

(when opened, click on u-tube and full screen HD) 
CHURCH TO CELEBRATE 50TH ANNIVERSARY

In June 2018 the parish will celebrate the 50th anniversary of the opening of our parish church. 
A Golden Jubilee is a significant event in the life of any parish.
The Pastoral Council are beginning to plan for the 50th anniversary celebrations. 
At this stage we are seeking any photographs of the construction phase of the building and any articles or publications covering the opening Mass and consecration ceremony. 
Any old stories, memories or photos would be greatly appreciated. Contact the Parish Council at fealechurch@eircom.net or the Abbeyfeale On Line website at dromtrasna1@gmail.com

...............................................................................................

Dearest Home On The Banks Of The Feale was written by local balladeer, Tade Gowran, and is performed here by Deirdre Scanlon and Muirean Nic Amhlaoibh on the TG4 programme "Port".

DEAREST HOME ON THE BANKS OF THE FEALE

Dearest home of my youth, oh how painful, it is to be parted from thee.
There are others who loved you as I do, and do seek for a home o`er the sea.
But no matter where e`er I may wander, my thoughts I will never conceal.
I will always think of you the fonder, dearest home on the Banks of the Feale.

On the cliff by the side of that river, a hundred feet over the strand,
They erected a number of tombstones, where the ruins of the Old Abbey stand.
Where oft our departed forefathers, from the Sassanach Foe had to steal,
To hear Holy Mass on a Sunday, in the churchyard at sweet Abbeyfeale.

And when I`m in the land of the stranger, away far away o`er the foam.
If in safety I wander, or danger, my thoughts will fly back to my home.
And when life`s weary journey is ended, I know that contented I`ll feel,
To be laid in the ruins of that Abbey, in the churchyard in sweet Abbeyfeale.

2 comments:

  1. Great song and great singers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brings back many happy memories.

    ReplyDelete